First Aid Policy

General Guidance

If any injury concerns you, especially if bleeding occurs, please consult the First Aid coordinator for your hall.  You should find out how the injury occurred, make sure to inform the parent (if it involves a child less than 18 years of age) and complete an accident form.

Always wear disposable gloves

Every hall should have a basic first aid kit kept with the Health & Safety Binder.

Only hypoallergenic plasters should be used on cuts and grazes.

Dispose of all soiled wipes/gloves/plasters in a sealed plastic bag.

A cold compress should be available in the first aid kit; this can be used if necessary on head bumps and other more serious bumps elsewhere on the body.

For all accidents or child reporting an injury, even if untreated, please complete an accident form.

If you have any problems or queries, please see the First Aid coordinator for your hall.

First Aid Policy/Procedures

It is our policy to provide first aid support to someone if they are injured or become unwell during one of our meetings or events.  It is our policy to have at least 1 trained first aider in each of our venues who will provide first aid support as and when necessary.

NB: First Aiders are not legally permitted to give any medication.

First aiders:


Qualified First Aiders are able to recognise and manage any immediately life-threatening conditions. If the First Aider feels that further medical assistance is required, they will arrange for an ambulance to be called.

All first aiders have professional medical training or have attended an approved  first aid course and undertake refresher courses.


This policy is reviewed on an annual basis or as when necessary, for example if a new First Aid Coordinator is appointed for a Hall.

First Aid Kit

There is a First Aid kit which is kept with the Health and Safety Binder for each hall.  First Aid Coordinators are responsible for replenishing the First Aid kit and ensuring that it contains all necessary equipment and that the equipment is in date.

Giving First Aid

If someone is injured, becomes unwell and needs help, the first aid coordinator for that hall should be contacted, and asked to attend. The first aider will assess the situation, provide help, request assistance from other first aiders if necessary, and stay with the casualty until they are recovered or make arrangements for further medical assistance if they deem this necessary.

In the rare case that no first aiders are available, the casualty will be assisted in getting to the nearest hospital A&E department.

Medical support

When a first aider thinks that a casualty needs urgent medical treatment, the first aider will arrange for the casualty to be taken to the nearest hospital accident & emergency department – if the first aider thinks it necessary, an ambulance will be called. If the situation isn’t an emergency but the casualty does need to go to the hospital then we will call a taxi. Either the first aider will remain with the casualty and accompany them to the hospital or they will ask a friend or other appropriate person to stay with them. When appropriate or if asked to by the casualty, we will contact their next of kin.

Spillages of body fluids

Spillages of blood, vomit, urine and excrement should be cleaned up promptly. The area should immediately be cleared and cordoned off and the first aider should dispose of spillages in a sealed bag. The first aider should wear protective gloves.  Clean the infected area with paper towels and an antibacterial disinfectant.  The incident should be reported on an accident form.


An accident form should be completed every time a first aider provides assistance to a casualty, including when the problem was illness rather than accident. As well as the usual details of the accident (if appropriate) the name of the person giving first aid and summary details of the treatment given should be recorded. The accident forms are found in the Hall Health & Safety Binder.

In keeping with our Health and Safety policy, full details of all accidents, disease and dangerous occurrences should be recorded using the Data Protection compliant HSE form provided in the H & S Binder (Accident Form). This is necessary for monitoring purposes and is also a requirement of RIDDOR, as well as the Social Security (Claims and Payments) Regulations 1979 and Social Security Administration Act 1992.